Truffle Butter Aligot
Creamy Aligot with Truffle Butter, Mozzarella, and Gouda
Forget about the classic potato mash. Make Aligot instead. Or even better, truffle butter aligot!
Aligot is a French dish consisting of cheese blended into mashed potatoes. It's the ultimate comfort food, and adding a touch of truffle butter makes it just divine!
Aligot was first served as a meal to the hungry pilgrims who walked the Camino de Santiago. The traditional Aligot recipe used bread as a base but due to a series of failed wheat harvests over time, bread was replaced by potatoes, giving us this silky-smooth pommes puree.
A classic Aligot requires few ingredients only. To achieve a silky-smooth Aligot, floury potatoes must be used, as they have a fluffier texture. Choice of cheese is also extremely important, as it needs to be young, unsalted, and posesses a mild and slightly acidic flavor. To make an authentic Aligot, one needs Tomme Fraiche or Tomme de l'Aubrac cheese, but as it is difficult to source outside France, freshly grated mozzarella cheese will do the trick. For a kick of flavor, add some shredded Gouda cheese too.
Preparation of Aligot is very simple. Boil Yukon gold potatoes (or any other floury potatoes), until fork-tender. Once cooked, add the potatoes to a food processor together with 1 clove of garlic, milk, a knob of truffle butter, a dollop of creme fraiche, and shredded cheese. Pulse until homogenous and stretchy.
How to Make Aligot with Truffles
Prep Time: 20‘
Cooking Time: 30’
Additional Time: 0’
- 1 lb Yukon gold potatoes, or any other floury potatoes
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup gouda cheese
- 1/2 cup milk, warm
- knob of truffle butter
- dollop of crème fraîche
- salt and white pepper to taste
- Peel and cut the potatoes into cubes.
- Add the potatoes to a medium pot and add enough water to cover by 2-3 inches. Add 1 tbsp of salt and allow to boil over medium heat until fork tender.
- Once cooked, add the potatoes together with the rest of the ingredients to a food processor and pulse until smooth and stretchy.
- Serve immediately.