Savory Crêpes with Goat Cheese Filling
Herbed Crêpes Stuffed with Lemon Scented Goat Cheese
These savory crêpes with goat cheese filling are equally perfect for brunch or dinner. Topping them with a fried egg makes for an excellent light dinner or forgoing the egg and adding a drizzling of honey will sweeten any brunch.
Who doesn’t like easy and versatile recipes? Crêpes are the thinner and easier-to-make cousin of the American pancakes. Eggs, flour, milk, and fat come together as the common base of both. The difference lies only in that the crêpe batter is much more liquidy than that of pancakes. Crêpes are often enjoyed simply, without fillings or toppings. If that's how you prefer them, feel free to omit the fresh herbs from this recipe. But, if you plan on adding the creamy goat cheese filling, we recommend adding thyme, mint, and dill to pair with the cheese. Also, the lemon zest is strongly recommended to balance the strong goat cheese flavor and add a pop of freshness.
How to make savory stuffed crèpes
Makes: 10 crepes
Prep Time: 10’
Cooking Time: 20’
Additional Time: ’
IngredientsFor the crèpes:
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup to ½ cup milk
- ½ cup white flour
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Handful of chopped fresh dill
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme, finely chopped
- Few mint leaves
- Pinch of ground Cloves
- Pinch of cayenne
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of pepper
For the filling:
- 125 grams Goat cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon greek yogurt
- Lemon zest from ¼ lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- Fried eggs
- Drizzle of honey
- Mix the first four ingredients of the batter together, whisking well to ensure all lumps are removed.
- Incorporate the herbs and spices into the batter.
- Pour a ladle of the batter to a nonstick pan; cook on medium-low for 2 minutes per side; set aside and continue until the batter runs out.
- To another mixing bowl, bring the softened goat cream cheese with the greek yogurt and mix until well incorporated; bring in the lemon zest and spring onions and stir to combine well; season to taste and set aside.
- Once the crèpes have cooled, fill them in with the goat cheese mixture.
- Serve with a drizzle of honey or a fried egg on top, or simply eat as-is.
This recipe for crèpe batter is so versatile! Try swapping out the herbs and spices and developing your own spin on this brunch favorite! For a sweeter version, you could replace the dill and thyme with some ground vanilla and stuff it with mascarpone and poached pears! The options are endless.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.