Savory Tahitian Vanilla Bean and Coconut Shrimp
Vanilla from Tahiti takes this coconut shrimp recipe up a notch
We love an easy recipe and this one is perfect for a busy weeknight dinner or a quarantined Sunday. Vanilla and seafood are a match made in heaven and this dish proves it. It is creamy, it is a tad spicy, it is sweet and it is salty. Who would of even thought that using vanilla beans in a savory recipe? Actually, many cultures have. The Polynesians have been using vanilla beans in fish dishes for ages. For this dish, we use some tasty head on prawns but use any shellfish you like, lobster would go great with this recipe if it is in your budget.
Prep Time: 5’
Cooking Time: 10-15’
Additional Time: 0’
Ingredients for vanilla and coconut shrimp:
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 6-8 medium to large size shrimps
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Thumb size ginger, minced
- 150 ml coconut milk
- Splash of cooking sour cream
- Beans from ¼ Gourmet Vanilla from Tahiti
- Chili powder
- Flake Salt to taste
- In a frying pan, add the coconut oil until melted; add the minced garlic, ginger, vanilla and chili powder; cook for 1 minute; add the coconut milk and the sour cream and allow to simmer on medium for 5 minutes; bring the shrimps into the sauce and cook for a further 5 more minutes or until they are pink in color; taste for salt and add accordingly;
- Serve on rice topped with fresh cilantro and spring onions.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.