Saffron Aioli with Cayenne Spiced Crispy Potatoes
Saffron Aioli, a recipe for glorious potatoes and more
Have you ever frequented a fancy restaurant, and heard your server refer to a fancy cold sauce concoction of aioli and thought to yourself, wow that sounds amazing? I would love to make that at home. Now you can with this savory Persian saffron aioli.
The creaminess of the aioli and fragrant saffron can compliment shellfish, chicken, vegetables and more
Making aioli from scratch may sound intimidating but trust us, it is not! The key to aioli, or any other mayonnaise, really, is the slow and gradual incorporation of the oil and the constant stirring. Adding oil little by little – and by that we mean ½ tsp at once! Makes sure that there is enough body for the oil to adhere to. Also, it is very important for the garlic to be paste like in order to obtain a homogenous composition for the oil evenly incorporate. Adding a nice touch of our saffron will give the aioli a nice kick of taste and color. Any other herbs or spices can be added to taste based on your preference. Enjoy best with some crispy and spicy potatoes or some nice fried calamari rings.
Prep Time: 10’
Cooking Time: 0’
Additional Time: 30‘ for the potatoes
Ingredients for saffron aioli:
- 1 clove of garlic
- Sea salt
- 1 raw egg yolk
- 5-6 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- Juice ¼ lemon
- 3-4 sprigs of Persian Saffron, Sargol Cut
For the potatoes:
- 2 large potatoes, cut into wedges
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- Start by soaking the saffron in the lemon juice in a bowl;
- In a motar and pestle, bring the garlic and the sea salt; grind until a garlic paste is formed;
- Add the egg yolk in and stir until well combine; slowly incorporate the oil, little by little while constantly stirring to avoid splitiing;
- After half of the oil quantity was added, introduce the lemon juice, again little by little and while constantly stirring; alternate the lemon juice with the remaining oil until everything is well incorporated;
- Serve next to some oven roasted potatoes that simply get tossed with some olive oil, salt and cayenne pepper and baked at 180 C/350 F for 30 min.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.