One pan Moroccan couscous chicken
Cinnamon, clove, and other high-quality ingredients make this chicken and couscous dish phenomenal!
This Moroccan chicken and couscous is a traditional dish that is both bold and colorful. If you're like us and in love with both colorful and flavorful dishes, then this one-pan Moroccan couscous chicken recipe is right up your alley; and who doesn’t love a one-pan meal, right?
This recipe produces a dish that is mildly spicy from the harissa paste, tangy from the olives, and sweet and crunchy from the pomegranate seeds. The earthiness from the cinnamon and cloves complements the chicken perfectly. It makes a great (and healthy) weeknight dinner with minimal clean-up!
Moroccan Spiced Chicken and Flavorful CousCous Made In A Single Pan
Prep Time: 10‘
Cooking Time: 30’
Additional Time: 30’
For the marinade:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- orange zest and juice from 1/2 orange
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
For the chicken:
- 2 chicken legs
- olive oil for frying
- 1 tsp harissa paste
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 red onion
- 1/2 cup black olives
- 1/2 cup couscous
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- parsley and mint to sprinkle on top
- pomegranate seeds
- Start by making the marinade; in a mixing bowl, bring all the marinade ingredients together and mix well; bring the chicken thighs in and allow to marinate for minimum 30 minutes on the kitchen counter or preferably in the fridge, overnight.
- Heat up a dutch oven pot over medium-high heat with a little bit of olive oil.
- Bring the marinated chicken skin side down and cook for 5 minutes/side or until golden brown; remove from pot and set aside.
- Add the red onion to the pot and cook until translucent; bring the crushed garlic and olives and cook for another 2 minutes; add the harissa paste and stir for another minute; add the couscous and the chicken stock and stir well.
- Bring back the chicken, cover and cook on the lowest setting for 20 minutes or until the chicken is done.
- Sprinkle with finely chopped parsley and mint and pomegranate seeds.
Give this recipe a try and let us know what you think. We hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
Many of the ingredients used to create this recipe were found in our online spice shop where you can find a wide array of ethically-sourced spices.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.