One pan Moroccan couscous chicken
Cinnamon, clove and other high quality herbs and spices make this Moroccan couscous recipe a household favorite
A traditional dish that is both bold and colorful. If you are like us and in love with colorful flavorful dishes, then this one pan Moroccan couscous chicken recipe is right up your alley; And who doesn’t love a one pan meal, right? This one in particular is mildly spicy from the harissa paste, tangy from the olives and sweet and crunchy from the pomegranate seeds. The earthiness taste from the cinnamon and cloves complements the meat of the chicken perfectly. It makes a great (and healthy) weeknight dinner but the real winner we all know is doing less dishes!
Prep Time: 10‘
Cooking Time: 30’
Additional Time: 30’
For the marinade:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- orange zest and juice from 1/2 orange
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 chicken legs
- 1 tsp harissa paste
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 red onion
- 1/2 cup black olives
- 1/2 cup couscous
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- parsley and mint to sprinkle on top
- pomegranate seeds
- start by making the marinade; to a mixing bowl, bring all the marinade ingredients together and mix well; bring the chicken thighs in and allow to marinade for minimum 30 min on the kitchen counter or preferably in the fridge, overnight;
- heat up a dutch oven pot over medium high heat with a little bit of olive oil to it; bring the marinated chicken skin side down and cook for 5 minutes/side or until golden brown; remove from pot and set aside;
- add the red onion to the pot and cook until translucent; bring the crushed garlic and olives and cook for another 2 minutes; add the harissa pasta and stir for another minute; add the couscous and the chicken stock and stir well; bring back the chicken, cover and cook on the lowest setting for 20 minutes or until the chicken is done.
- sprinkle with finely chopped parsley and mint and pomegranate seeds.
Give this recipe a try and let us know what you think. We hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.