Ginger Saffron Chicken Noodle Soup
Healing Chicken Soup with the Fresh Ginger and Saffron Threads
This is NOT your grandma’s chicken soup (no offense to Grandma). This chicken soup is actually closer to a stew. It has been ramped up with the addition of warm, flavorful spices, such as fresh ginger and a generous pinch of saffron.
Ginger is not typical to chicken soup but provides a lovely, subtle “kick”, and the saffron lends its distinctive flavor and golden hue to this ultimate comfort food.
Perfect cold-weather fare, this stew is a satisfying first course but substantial enough to hold its own as a hearty meal. We suggest adding a salad and loaf of crusty bread!
Ginger Saffron Chicken Stew
- 4 pounds chicken breast, rinsed, patted dry and seasoned with salt and pepper
- 12 cups chicken stock
- 4 large carrots, thickly sliced
- 4 large leeks, thickly sliced (white and light green parts only)
- 4 large celery stalks, thickly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2” piece peeled ginger, cut into 4 thick slices
- Large pinch of saffron
- Handful of fresh thyme sprigs
- Salt and pepper
- Cooked and drained noodles, for serving (optional, use gluten free pasta if desired)
How to make this delicious saffron and ginger chicken soup
- Place the chicken, breast-side down, in a large stock pot and cover with the chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Add the carrots, leeks, celery, garlic, ginger, saffron and thyme. Return to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Turn the chicken over and simmer for another 30 minutes. Transfer chicken to a large bowl and let cool until cool enough to handle.
- Strain the vegetables and discard the ginger, garlic, and thyme. Return the stock to the pot and simmer until reduced by about one-third.
- In the meantime, pull the chicken meat off the bones and tear into bite-sized pieces.
- Add the vegetables and chicken to the stock and simmer until warmed through. Season as needed with salt and pepper. Serve with cooked and drained noodles if desired.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.