Creamy Eggnog Popsicles with Chocolate Drizzle
Recreating a holiday classic with eggnog popsicles
Eggnog in a mug is so yesterday. Serve delicious eggnog popsicles at your next holiday gathering for something truly different (and impressive).
These pops are so easy to make. It all starts with a custard base, which is flavored with rum, vanilla bean, and warm spices. Give them a generous drizzle of melted milk chocolate and adorn with bits of edible gold leaf for a smashing finish.
Who says popsicles are for summer only?
How to Make Eggnog Popsicles
Ingredients used in the popsicles:
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons rum, or 2 teaspoons rum extract
- 1 vanilla bean
- 5 egg yolks, room temperature
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 sheet 24 karat edible gold leaf (optional)
Procedure for making the popsicles
- Place the cream in a medium saucepan.
- Split the vanilla bean and scrape out the seeds.
- Add the seeds and pod to the cream and heat until hot to the touch.
- While the cream is heating, whisk the yolks to combine.
- Whisking constantly, slowly pour in the sugar, along with the salt and spices.
- Continue whisking and slowly pour the egg mixture into the cream and bring just to a boil.
- Pour through a sieve into a measuring cup. Let cool slightly before pouring into your popsicle molds.
- Freeze for 30 minutes or till slushy. Add popsicles sticks and freeze overnight.
- Remove pops from molds and transfer to a foil-lined baking sheet – return to freezer.
- Melt the milk chocolate and coconut oil in a heatproof bowl set over barely simmering water.
- Remove bowl from heat and cool slightly.
- Use a spoon to drizzle the melted chocolate over the popsicles and return to the freezer to set.
- If using gold leaf, place bits all around the pops. Keep frozen till ready to serve.
Pass to your guests at your next holiday party!