Easy Tortilla Soup
Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup
Tortilla soup is a traditional Mexican soup, rather similar to chili con carne but served with crispy tortilla crisps on top. Traditionally, Sopa de Tortilla uses chicken meat and chicken broth as well as roasted tomatoes and onions. Chile de arbol is also a crucial ingredient and it is the preferred chile to use in this recipe. For convenience reasons, we developed a recipe that requires canned tomatoes as well as chili flakes. Done in less than an hour, this soup makes a great and easy cold-weather dinner. It can be cooked in larger batches and stored in the freezer for up to three months.
Prep Time: 10‘
Cooking Time: 30’
Additional Time: 0’
Sopa de Tortilla con Pollo
IngredientsFor the soup:
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound chicken thighs, bone, and skin removed, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup canned corn, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoon chile de arbol flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
For the tortilla strips:
- 4-6 corn tortillas, cut into strips
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- pinch of flake sea salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- sour cream
- tortilla strips
- white cheese, crumbled
- Preheat a heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat.
- Add the olive oil together with the onion and bell pepper and cook until softened, for about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the chicken thighs and cook for another 5-7 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the pot, cover with a lid and cook for 30 minutes or until the meat is fully cooked through.
- In the meanwhile make the tortilla strips; preheat a frying pan over medium heat with enough oil; add the tortilla strips to the pan and fry until golden brown and crispy; remove and set aside on paper towels to absorb any excess fat.
- Once the soup is done, serve in bowls topped with sliced avocado, crispy tortilla strips, sour cream, and crumbled cheese; squeeze a touch of lime juice over and sprinkle flake sea salt and black pepper on top.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.