Easy homemade Pho Ga
Pho with Chicken Pieces, Vegetables, and Chicken Broth
Pho is a humble Vietnamese soup that won the hearts of many for its unique flavors. It is Vietnam’s national dish and we understand why! While the broth looks unassuming, it is packed with wonderful flavors that make it unforgettable and make you crave more. Traditionally made with beef broth and topped with thin slices of steak, this recipe is very versatile and it can be done with other meats and/or veggies.
Chicken Pho with Ginger and Cinnamon
Prep Time: 5‘
Cooking Time: 30’
Additional Time: 10’
For the broth:
- 1 medium size onion, cut in half
- 1 thumb size ginger root, cut in half
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 star anise
- 4-6 cloves
- 2-4 cardamom pods
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- rice noodles
- thinly sliced roasted chicken
- herbs: mint, coriander, Thai basil
- bean sprouts, optional
- red chilies, thinly sliced
- sriracha sauce
- lime or lemon wedges
- Start by charring the onion and ginger; preheat the oven to the highest setting; add the halved onion and ginger cut side up and broil for 7-10 minutes at the highest setting of the oven or until charred.
- To a pot over medium-low heat, add 1 tsp of vegetable oil; add the spices in and toss until fragrant, for about 2-3 minutes; add the charred onion and ginger to the pot, together with the chicken broth and bring to a boil; once it starts boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
- Once the soup is done, cook the rice noodles according to the package’s instructions.
- Once the noodles are cooked, add to a serving bowl and top with desired toppings; gently pour the soup on top and serve right away.