Chickpea and Kale Madras
Madras Curry with Chickpeas and Kale
Next time you’re craving curry, forget about the takeaway menu! Here is a quick and easy vegan madras curry to cure the craving!
Madras curry is a spicier and tastier version of standard curry. The key flavors in this dish are hot and fiery with a piquant touch. Using vibrant ingredients from ginger to nutmeg and cinnamon, this dish has an explosion of flavor.
Spicy Curry with Kale and Chickpeas
Prep Time: 20‘
Cooking Time: 20’
Additional Time: 0’
- 4-5 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and grated
- thumb size ginger root, peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- handful fresh kale, chopped
- Heat the vegetable oil to a heavy-bottomed pot and fry the onion over medium heat until golden brown.
- Add the grated garlic and ginger and stir for a minute more.
- Add all the spices and toast for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant; add the chopped tomatoes and cook until a sauce forms; add the chickpeas, stock, and coconut milk and cook for 20 minutes; right before serving add the fresh kale in and stir.
- Serve with white rice and top with more chili if desired; to balance the spiciness, yogurt can be served too as well as a squeeze of lime juice.