The Best Black Lime Cocktail: The Black Cadillac Margarita
The color black, especially in the world of gastronomy and libation, conjures feelings of mystery and sophistication. Using a black ingredient may seem daunting but we let the flavor and color of our Persian dried limes inspire our most recent creation rather than intimidate. When we think of limes. Margaritas are one of the first things that comes to mind but we wanted ours to exude the mystery and sophistication we mentioned earlier. We used activated charcoal and black limes to make a truly unique simple syrup, blended blackberries, and utilized top-shelf reposada tequila, high quality orange liqueur, and black raspberry liqueur to create the truly spectacular, Black Cadillac Margarita.
Black Cadillac Margarita Recipe
- Good quality reposado tequila
- Gran Marnier
- 2 black limes
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon food-grade activated charcoal powder
- Rimming salt
- Fresh lime juice
- 1 pint blackberries, puréed and strained
- ¼ teaspoon food-grade activated charcoal powder
- Start by grinding your black limes into a powder. Simply cut it in half, remove any seeds, and using a mortar and pestle or spice grinder, grind them.
- Mix half of the black lime powder with your rimming salt and set it aside.
- Next, make your simple syrup by mixing your sugar, water, activated charcoal, and remaining black lime powder into a pot on the stove. Bring it to a boil and immediately reduce the heat to a simmer. Stir until the sugar has fully dissolved. Remove from the heat and place in the refrigerator until you are ready to make your margaritas.
- Use a blender or smoothie maker to purée the black berries. Pour the purée through a sieve to remove the seeds if desired.
- Slide a lime along the rim of a large glass to wet the rim and then dip it into your salt mixture
- For each cocktail, use a cocktail mixer and ice to mix together 1 ½ ounces of tequila, ½ 1 ounce of Contreau, 1 ounce Gran Marnier, 1 ounce lime juice, 2 ounces blackberry purée, and 2 1/2 ounces simple syrup.
- Fill the glass with ice and pour the margarita over top.