Fudgy Gluten Free Nutmeg Spiced Brownies
Freshly grated nutmeg helps make these gluten free brownies a treat no one can refuse
Sometimes it’s hard to guess at the final consistency of a brownie when following a recipe online. Let’s leave no room for doubt here -- these are ooey, gooey, fudgy brownies that blur the line between fudge and brownies. The melted dark chocolate chips, softened butter, sugar, and eggs all come together for a rich and creamy batter.
The slightly bitter flavors of the dark chocolate are enhanced by freshly grated nutmeg. As a member of what is known as “the sweet spice quartet,” nutmeg carries a sweet and familiar fragrance with a mildly spicy bite.
The key to keeping these brownies out of the cake realm starts at the beginning. First, you’ll want to give your butter and sugar enough time to cream together into a smooth mixture. The butter should be room temperature when you start, so it easily transforms into a velvety mixture. Next, allow the eggs (which should also be room temperature) time to add volume. When the mixture begins looking fluffy, you’re ready for the chocolate.
Shift gears before you add the flour, cacao, and nutmeg. Once these ingredients are added, stirring should be kept to a minimum. Mix until just combined then immediately transfer to pan and bake. The more you stir, the more cake-like these brownies become.
Gluten free nutmeg brownies serves 12Active Time 10 minutes
Inactive Time 25 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
9x9 baking pan
Stand mixer with paddle attachment
6 oz mini dark chocolate chips
⅔ cup butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
⅔ cup gluten free all purpose flour
3 Tbsp cacao powder
2 tsp Sri Lankan whole nutmeg, freshly grated
¼ tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. Grease a 9x9 baking pan
3. In a double boiler, melt 4 oz of chocolate chips
4. In the bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar 1-2 minutes until pale and creamy
5. Add eggs and vanilla. Continue to beat 1-2 minutes, until fluffy.
6. Add melted chocolate and mix to combine.
7. Add flour, cacao, 1 tsp of nutmeg, and salt. Mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
8. Pour batter into prepared baking pan and bake 22-25 minutes.
9. Allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes. Slice into 12 pieces. Garnish with remaining chocolate, grated nutmeg.
Note: For extra fudginess, cook the brownies for 20 minutes.