Shrimp and Sausage Lasagna with Coriander Cream Sauce
White Seafood Lasagna with Coriander Garlic Cream Sauce
Is there anything more comforting than lasagna? Actually, there is—it’s lasagna with a coriander cream sauce—and since we’ve made it gluten free, just about anyone can be comforted by this phenomenal creation.
Coriander probably isn’t the first ingredient most would think of when it comes to lasagna, but it adds a surprising element of freshness in cream sauces and pairs beautifully with shrimp and sausage, so we just had to try it in our seafood and sausage lasagna. To add another surprising element and deepen the flavors, we included a small amount of smoked sea salt. The result was extraordinary.
Gluten Free Lasagna with Seafood and White Wine Coriander Sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoon whole coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow or white onion, chopped
- 1 pound ground sweet Italian sausage
- 1 pound deveined shrimp, tails and shells removed
- 4 cloves garlic, minced and divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose gluten free flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon smoked sea salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed white pepper
- ½ cup white wine, (Chardonnay preferred) divided
- 1 ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 16 ounces ricotta
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 bunch fresh, Italian parsley, roughly chopped
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups of mozzarella
- 9 ounces gluten free pasta noodles
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat; toss in the coriander to lightly toast for 2 minutes. Remove the coriander from the skillet and place in a mortar and pestle to cool. When cool, grind into a fine powder.
- Add in 2 tablespoons of oil to the skillet and, once hot, stir in your onions; sauté until tender.
- Add your sausage in with your onions and brown.
- When it is nearly cooked through, add in the shrimp and half of your garlic; cook until the shrimp is pink. Do not overcook or your shrimp will get tough.
- Remove the mixture from the skillet set aside to cool.
- Return the skillet to the heat and use 3 tablespoons of the white wine to pull up the fond. Melt the butter in the skillet and stir in the remaining garlic. Cook for 3 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Stir in the gluten free flour, salt, coriander, and pepper.
- Slowly pour in the chicken broth and additional wine, whisking continuously.
- Pour in the cream and continue whisking.
- Mix together the egg, ricotta, lemon juice, lemon pepper, and parsley. Set aside.
- Cook your lasagna noodles according to package instructions.
- Pour a ¼-inch layer of sauce on the bottom of a 9x13” baking dish; add a layer of noodles, followed by a layer of ricotta, a layer of the shrimp/sausage mixture, and another layer of noodles.
- Continue layering, in that order until your pan is filled. Pour the remaining sauce overtop of the lasagna.
- Bake, covered, at 350℉ for 45 minutes. Uncover, add the mozzarella, and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until the cheese begins to bubble.