Black Truffle Infused Homemade Biscuits
Truffle Parmesan Biscuits with Herbed Honey Butter
Warm biscuits – slathered with butter; they really do make any meal better. Whether served up with eggs at breakfast or with fried chicken for dinner, they are truly the perfect accompaniment to just about anything!
And while the basic ingredients are simple – butter, flour, baking powder and buttermilk – there are a few tips that will make all the difference, and result in tender biscuits with lots of flaky layers.
The most important tip is to work with small pieces of frozen butter. That super cold butter creates steam while the biscuits are baking, and the steam is what pushes through the dough to create all those flaky layers.
Next? Make your biscuits square, not round. After the initial cuts with a round cutter you need to re-roll the scraps to create more biscuits. Every time you roll the dough after the first round the dough gets tougher and tougher, and those subsequent biscuits are never as flaky as the first ones. Instead, shape the dough into a square or rectangle, and cut your biscuits one time!
Finally, fold the dough. By gently folding and rolling the dough a few times before cutting your shapes you’ll get more and flakier layers – try it!
We incorporated a generous amount of grated truffle into the dough for extra flavor and ramped up that must-have butter with a swirl of honey and fresh herbs!
Truffle Parmesan Biscuits with Herbed Honey Butter Recipe
Ingredients for making truffle biscuits
- 2 sticks (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter, divided
- 2 cups flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 large truffle, finely grated
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup honey, plus additional for drizzling
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- Flaky sea salt
To Make the biscuits:
- Grate 1 stick of butter on the large hole side of a box grater. Freeze for at least 30 minutes. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the flour, baking powder, 1 teaspoon of the salt, the grated truffle and the parmesan in your food processor. Pulse a few times to blend. Add the frozen grated butter and pulse again, just to blend. Add the buttermilk and pulse till a crumbly dough is formed.
- Transfer the dough to a floured work surface and pat into a thick square (1” – 2” thick). Fold the dough in half and use a rolling pin to gently roll into another thick square. Repeat folding and rolling 3 more times, the final time rolling the dough into a rectangle approximately 6” x 8”. Cut into 12 squares, transfer to your prepared baking sheet and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 425° F.
To Make the honey butter:
- Beat the remaining 1 stick of butter, remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt, honey and rosemary till well combined. Keep chilled till ready to use.
- Bake the biscuits till light golden brown, 10 – 14 minutes. Serve warm with the honey butter and drizzled with additional honey and flaky sea salt.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.