Zucchini Feta Scones
Summer Zucchini Surplus? Make Scones with Zucchini and Feta!
Scones are a beloved English tea treat. So why not make it savory to enjoy any time of the day? We replaced sugar with feta and added finely grated zucchini for extra texture and healthy vitamins. With a touch of chili and nutmeg we were able to round everything out for a nice treat that borders sweet and savory. This could also be used as a bun for a sandwich or even a dinner roll replacement.
Savory Scones with Zucchini and Feta
Serves: about 35 Ø 2”/5cm
Prep Time: 20‘
Cooking Time: 20’
Additional Time: 0’
- 2 cups/500 grams shredded zucchini, core and seeds removed
- 2 cups/500 grams self-rising flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 5 oz/150 grams cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 2 teaspoons red chili flakes
- 1 cup/250 grams feta cheese, crumbled
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- 1-2 tablespoons cold water, extra
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C, fan on.
- Remove the core and seeds from the zucchini and finely grate it; add a pinch of salt to the grated zucchini, scrunch and squeeze together and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the flour, baking powder, and cold butter to a food processor and pulse until the butter is pea-sized; transfer the mixture to a large bowl.
- Squeeze the zucchini to get rid of the excess water and add it to the bowl; crumble the feta and add it to the bowl with the chili flakes; make a well in the middle and crack the eggs in; mix until a dough is formed; add 1-2 tbsp cold water if the dough is too dry.
- Bring the dough to a lightly floured surface and roll to 1-inch thick; cut in desired shapes.
- Bake at 400F/200C for 20 minutes or until golden brown.