Home Baked Soft Pretzels
Soft Pretzels with Flaky Sea Salt
The key to delicious home baked soft pretzels looking and tasting like the ones found in bakeries is the baking soda boil before baking them off. The traditional method calls for dipping them in a lye and water solution but it can be harmful if not handled carefully, so we use an alternate method. We find that the baking soda replacement does the job just as well, while eliminating the risk. Switching the standard salt out with a flaky sea salt brings a subtle kick to the pretzels, not to mention it is more aesthetically appealing and the flavor more pleasant.
Serve the pretzels warm with plenty of butter and fresh chives like the Germans do or dip into the sauce of your choice. Day old pretzels can also be used in sandwiches.
Homemade Soft-Baked Pretzels with Sea Salt
Prep Time: 15‘
Cooking Time: 30’
Additional Time: 0’
IngredientsFor the pretzels:
- 500 grams/4 cups white flour
- 1 tbsp softened butter or lard
- 230 grams lukewarm water + 2 more tbsp if needed
- 1 tbsp instant dried yeast
- ½ tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
For the baking soda boil:
- 50 grams/3 tbsp baking soda
- 1,5 litres/ approx. 6 cups of water
- Generous pinch of Flake sea salt
- Combine the dough ingredients to a mixing bowl; Using the hook attachment, knead the dough until it takes shape; add two more TBSP of water if there are still bits of dried flour left in the bowl;
- Knead until a smooth but firm ball is formed; split in 6 equal dough-balls and allow to rest for 5 minutes;
- Roll one dough-ball to a 24-inch rope leaving the middle thicker (this will be the belly of the pretzel); form the dough into a “U” shape and cross the two ends over each other twice; fold the ends down to the bottom at 4 and 8 o’clock and gently press to secure; repeat with the rest of 5 dough balls;
- Bring the shaped pretzels to a baking tray and allow to proof in a warm, draft free environment for 15 minutes; once proved, cold retard in the fridge for 30 minutes;
- In the meanwhile, bring the water to a boil; add the bicarbonate of sodium (baking soda) and stir;
- Preheat oven to 200 C/392 F, fan on;
- Carefully dip one pretzel at the time in the boiling water and boil for 10 seconds on each side; remove directly to a lined baking tray and score the belly of the pretzel with a sharp knife; sprinkle generously with flaky sea salt; continue with the remaining pretzels;
- Bake at 200 C/392 F for 15-20 minutes or until deep golden brown; serve warm with softened salted butter or dip it into your favorite sauce.
We love the way this Flake Sea Salt looks on these soft-baked pretzels!