Gluten Free Cardamom Cookies
Gluten Free Cream Cheese Cardamom Cookies
These aren’t a traditional Scandinavian cookie, and not just because they are void of gluten. They are moist on the inside, crunchy on the outside, and absolutely decadent without being overly sweet. They are perfect tea cookie, dipped in coffee, or standalone dessert (or serve them alongside a scoop of ice cream).
They are similar to a traditional cardamom cookie in that they are extremely buttery, light, and airy. We wanted a cookie that had that satisfying crunch, yet still retained a soft, moist center. We were able to achieve this by using a strategic flour blend, omitting egg whites, adding cream cheese, and incorporating just a bit of seltzer water. We further enhanced them by using a Tahitian vanilla extract in the dough which, as opposed to the more common, Planifolia varieties), has a floral aroma and flavor that beautifully contrasts the herbal heat from the cardamom. To complete this gluten free cardamom cookie recipe, we mixed together more cardamom with a vanilla sugar to sprinkle atop.
This recipe makes about 36 cookies but you might still want to make a double batch because the flavors and textures are so perfectly balanced, without being ultra sugary!
How to Make Gluten Free Cookies with Cardamom and Vanilla
Yields: approximately 3 dozen cookies.
- 2 teaspoons fresh-ground cardamom, divided
- 1 ½ cup gluten free all-purpose flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup softened butter
- ½ cup softened cream cheese
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup orange flavored seltzer water
- 1 ¼ teaspoon pure Tahitian vanilla extract
- 1 ½ teaspoons Tahitian vanilla sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Mix together 1 teaspoon of the ground cardamom, all-purpose flour, coconut flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, cream of tartar and sea salt.
- Using a standing mixer, mix together your brown sugar, maple syrup, and egg yolks.
- Add the softened butter, softened cream cheese, whipping cream, and vanilla extract
- A spoonful at a time, add the dry mixture; once half of the mixture has been added, mix in the seltzer water, before adding the remainder of the dry mixture.
- In a small dish, mix together the remainder of the cardamom and the vanilla sugar.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Use a small ice cream scoop to form the cookies and put them on the baking sheet, leaving about 4 inches between.
- Use a fork to lightly flatten the cookies—pressing in one direction and then the opposite direction, creating a multi-pronged plus sign.
- Sprinkle the cookies with the cardamom and vanilla sugar mixture.
- Bake the cookies for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place on a cooling rack