Classic Chicken Pot Pie
Flaky Chicken Pot Pie with Mushrooms and Leeks
Everyone needs a good, classic Chicken Pot Pie recipe. Comforting, this recipe is great as it is highly customizable and a great way to recycle any leftovers lying in the fridge. The measurements are given in this recipe act as a guideline, so feel free to use whatever you want in your pot pie.
How to make the best chicken pot pie
Prep Time: 20‘
Cooking Time: 20’
Additional Time: 0’
- knob of butter
- 1 medium-sized onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely diced
- 1 chicken breast (leftover can be used too), cut into cubes
- 1 small leek, finely sliced
- 2-6 brown mushrooms, quartered
- 1 medium-sized potato, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 small carrot, cubed
- 1 tbsp all-purpose white flour
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- pinch of ground cumin
- pinch of smoked paprika
- few sprigs of fresh thyme
- puff pastry to cover the baking dish
- 1 egg, beaten, optional
- Add the butter to a frying pan over medium heat and cook the onions until translucent.
- Add the chicken meat together with all the veggies, cover, and cook for 7-10 minutes or until the meat is cooked through and the veggies have softened slightly.
- Add 1 tablespoon of flour and cook for another minute.
- Deglaze with chicken stock, reduce heat to low, cover and allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid, add the cream cheese, peas and seasoning and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200C/390F, fan on.
- Transfer the mixture to a casserole dish and layer the puff pastry on top; with a sharp knife, poke through the dough to release the steam while cooking; brush with the beaten egg and bake at 200C/390F for 20 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.