Black Trumpet Mushroom and Chive Risotto
Creamy Risotto with Black Trumpet Mushrooms and ChivesThis warm and hearty risotto is full of flavor, thanks to the addition of black trumpet mushrooms! Black trumpet mushrooms are a rare and wild foraged mushroom that has a smoky and earthy flavor profile that is a perfect complement to this creamy vegetarian risotto!
Black Trumpet and Chive Risotto
- 1 cup dried black trumpet mushrooms
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- Salt and pepper
- Place the mushrooms in a bowl and pour hot water over to cover.
- Let sit for 20 minutes. While the mushrooms are soaking bring the vegetable broth to a simmer in a small saucepan; reduce heat to keep warm.
- Drain the mushrooms, pat dry and chop the larger pieces.
- In a 4-quart saucepan melt one tablespoon of butter over medium heat.
- Add the onion and mushrooms and sauté for 10 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir continuously for 2 minutes.
- Add the wine and simmer, stirring frequently, till it is completely absorbed.
- Add 1 cup of the hot broth and simmer, stirring frequently, till it is completely absorbed.
- Repeat this process 2 more times, using 1 cup of broth each time.
- For the last addition only add 1/2 cup at a time, stopping when the rice is tender, with a bit of chew.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the remaining tablespoon of butter, chives, parmesan and salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with shaved parmesan and serve immediately.