Green Cardamom Sweet Rolls
Move over cinnamon roll, make room for green cardamom
A tasty play on fresh baked cinnamon rolls using freshly ground green cardamom. Ever have a cinnamon roll? Of course you have, who has not. Though for this recipe we are using our wonderfully fresh green cardamom pods to an unmistakable flavor to this sweet treat. Enjoy with family and friends and let us know what you think. Recipe is below.
Prep Time: 15 min
Baking Time: 35 min
Total Time: 50 min
For the dough
2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour.
¾ teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons sugar, divided.
2 teaspoon ground cardamom
¾ cup milk, lukewarm
2 ¼ teaspoons dry yeast (1 package)
1 egg, at room temperature
½ cup unsalted butter, melted
For the filling
½ cup butter softened
½ cup brown sugar
¼ teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoon ground cardamom
For the cream cheese frosting
½ cup cream cheese, at room temperature
⅓ cup confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9X13 baking dish and keep it aside.
- In a standing mixing bowl combine flour, salt, 2 tablespoons sugar, and ground cardamom. Mix it on a low speed until just combined.
- Meanwhile, in a glass of milk in a jar add the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar and yeast. Mix it with a fork and allow the mixture to stand for 5 minutes until the yeast activates. Add in the egg and melted butter and mix well.
- Slowly pour the wet mixture into the stand mixer and increase the speed to maximum and knead the dough for 5-7 minutes until the dough is soft and smooth.
- Transfer the dough to a greased bowl, cover it, and place it in a warm place for proofing for 1-2 hours (almost the dough should be double in size)
- While the dough is rising, prepare the filling by combining butter, brown sugar, salt, and ground cardamom in a bowl. Mix until smooth and set aside.
- On a marble countertop dust some flour and transfer the risen dough. Spread the dough to a rectangular shape using a rolling pin.
- Spread the prepared filling generously all over the dough. Roll the dough tightly from the long end like a log.
- Using a sharp knife cut the rolls into 8 equal sizes and place them on a greased baking dish. Allow the rolls to rise for another 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350F for 35 minutes until the center roll is cooking through. Allow the cardamom rolls to cool down for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the cream cheese frosting by combining cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and heavy cream. Mix until smooth and creamy.
- Drizzle the frosting over the cardamom rolls and spread. Serve the cardamom rolls while it is still warm.