Spiced Potato Pancakes (Latkes)
Spiced Latkes with Wild Garlic Dip
Very popular in Germany, potato pancakes, also called latkes, are usually enjoyed with applesauce on top. If you are looking for something other than applesauce to try on your latkes, we suggest branching out with a dollop of Greek yogurt with wild garlic in place of the applesauce, for a delectably interesting variation. If you want to refrain from straying from the classic, German way, that's pretty tasty too! Either way, don’t forget to add ground cloves and nutmeg to the pancake to emphasize the earthy taste of the potatoes.
Potato Pancakes Spiced with Cloves and Nutmeg, Served with Creamy Garlic Yogurt Dip
Prep Time: 15’
Cooking Time: 15’
Additional Time: ’
For the Latkes:
- 2 potatoes, finely grated
- 1 small onion, finely grated
- 1 clove of garlic, grated
- 1/2 tsp chili paste
- 1 egg
- pinch of ground Nutmeg
- pinch of ground Cloves
- few sprigs of parsley
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika powder
- ½ cup vegetable oil for frying
For the Yogurt and Garlic Dip:
- ½ cup greek yogurt
- 1 cucumber, pickle
- 2 cloves of minced garlic or handful of wild garlic
- salt, pepper to taste
- Olive oil to drizzle
Instructions for Making Latkes
- Mix the grated potatoes, onions, and garlic with the egg.
- Add in the chili paste, parsley, flour, and spices; mix until everything is well combined.
- Bring the oil to a frying pan and when hot enough, add a tablespoon of the mixture to the pan and fry on medium heat for 2-3 min per side or until deep golden brown; remove from pan bring to some paper towels to absorb the excess oil.
- To make the sauce, finely cut the pickle and drain the excess juices; add it to the greek yogurt; finely chop the wild garlic and bring it to the mixture; season to taste.
To Serve the Potato Latkes
Serve the sauce on the side of your latkes for dipping or dollop it on top. Alternatively, you can forego the garlic sauce and serve with the more traditional applesauce topping.
We suggest starting with whole cloves and nutmeg and grating or grinding them fresh for optimal flavor. You can find both of these high-quality, ethically-sourced, ingredients in our online spice shop.