Summer Squash Tacos with Cinnamon Tomato Jam & Black Beans
Meatless Tacos with Summer Squash and Black Beans
It's impossible to hide our love for any tacos. They are easy, delicious, versatile, and require very little fuss! Somewhere along the lines though, tacos became synonymous with seasoned ground beef stuffed in a tortilla with cheddar cheese and iceberg lettuce. They can (and should) be so much more than that, though! The options are endless when it comes to filling these little gems of delight.
For this particular variation, we took advantage of seasonal ingredients for a fresh twist on a street taco. They can be prepared with any variety of summer squash (the fresher the better). The protein comes from a more traditional ingredient—black beans.
For an added seasonal kick, we replaced salsa with our cinnamon tomato jam. You can also swap the sour cream with some cashew cream and make this recipe vegan if you’d like to. We love it either way!
Vegan Summer Squash and Black Bean Tacos with Tomato Jam
Prep Time: 5’
Cooking Time: 15’
Additional Time: 0’
How to make the homemade taco seasoning (makes 5 teaspoons):
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
For the tacos:
- 2 small summer squash
- 1 can of black beans
- olive oil
- 1-2 tsp taco seasoning
- flour tortillas
- few tablespoons cinnamon tomato jam
- sour cream
How to prepare the veggie tacos
- In a small bowl, prepare the taco seasoning mix by mixing all the ingredients together;
- Prep the summer squash, drain and rinse the black beans, and add both to a frying pan with a bit of oil; season with taco seasoning and cook until the squash is done;
- Quickly warm up the tortillas over high heat for 10 seconds/side;
- Assemble the tacos by adding the bean and squash filling, top it with guacamole, fresh onions, sour cream, and our cinnamon tomato jam; sprinkle some chopped fresh coriander and enjoy.
Wash these tacos down with a Watermelon Slushie (perhaps with some added tequila or rum).