Creamy Eggnog Popsicles with Chocolate Drizzle
Recreating a holiday classic with eggnog popsicles
Eggnog in a mug is so yesterday. Serve delicious eggnog popsicles at your next holiday gathering for something truly different (and impressive).
These pops are so easy to make. It all starts with a custard base, which is flavored with rum, vanilla bean, and warm spices. Give them a generous drizzle of melted milk chocolate and adorn with bits of edible gold leaf for a smashing finish.
Who says popsicles are for summer only?
How to Make Eggnog Popsicles
Ingredients used in the popsicles:
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons rum, or 2 teaspoons rum extract
- 1 vanilla bean
- 5 egg yolks, room temperature
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 sheet 24 karat edible gold leaf (optional)
Procedure for making the popsicles
- Place the cream in a medium saucepan.
- Split the vanilla bean and scrape out the seeds.
- Add the seeds and pod to the cream and heat until hot to the touch.
- While the cream is heating, whisk the yolks to combine.
- Whisking constantly, slowly pour in the sugar, along with the salt and spices.
- Continue whisking and slowly pour the egg mixture into the cream and bring just to a boil.
- Pour through a sieve into a measuring cup. Let cool slightly before pouring into your popsicle molds.
- Freeze for 30 minutes or till slushy. Add popsicles sticks and freeze overnight.
- Remove pops from molds and transfer to a foil-lined baking sheet – return to freezer.
- Melt the milk chocolate and coconut oil in a heatproof bowl set over barely simmering water.
- Remove bowl from heat and cool slightly.
- Use a spoon to drizzle the melted chocolate over the popsicles and return to the freezer to set.
- If using gold leaf, place bits all around the pops. Keep frozen till ready to serve.
Pass to your guests at your next holiday party!
We carry several of the ingredient used in these popsicles in our online store, as well as the edible gold leaf for adornment. Check it out!