Kimchi Jjigae (Kimchi Stew)
What is Kimchi Stew?
Kimchi jjigae, or kimchi stew, is one of the most loved stews in Korean cuisine. It uses ripe kimchi, fish stock, meat that is rich in fat content, and it is usually served with rice. The result is this warm, hearty, and spicy stew, perfect for cooler weather. Made of aged nutrient-dense kimchi, kimchi jjigae is packed with nutrients, flavor, and contains highl evels of probiotics.
The beauty of this dish is its versatility. Any meat (or no meat) can be used, although we suggest you go for fattier cuts such as pork belly.
Store bought kimchi can absolutely be used to prepare this recipe, but we highly recommend making your own. It's so easy and the resulting stew is much more satisfying! Check out this easy homemade kimchi recipe.
Serves: 2 large portions, 4 small portions
Prep Time: 10‘
Cooking Time: 10’
Additional Time: 0’
Making Kimchi Jjigae
- 1 pound kimchi cut into bite-size pieces
- ½ pound pork belly, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 green onions
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoons flake sea salt
- 1 tablespoon gochujang chili paste, optional
- 2 cups of anchovy stock, can be substituted with any stock
- ½ package of soft tofu, optional
- White basmati rice, to serve
- Place the kimchi in a pot and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the pork belly, green onions, sugar, and gochujang paste and mix well. Pour the anchovy stock over top and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Once done, lay slices of tofu on top. Serve with rice.