Rose Petal Ras el Hanout Spice Mix
Moroccan Spice Mix with Ras el Hanout
Ras el Hanout is a spice mix that originated in Morocco, from where it spread all over the world. Ras el Hanout in Arabic translates to head of the spice shop and it refers to the best spice mix the shopkeeper has to offer. The beauty of this spice mix is that there are not two identical Ras el Hanout spice mixes. Although numerous variations, they all share a base set of spices, though. The most commonly used spices in Ras el Hanout are nutmeg, cardamom, cumin, black pepper, cinnamon, mace, and ginger. Starting from these spices, one can add herbs and flowers to customize the mix. Ras el Hanout is a versatile spice mix that can be used as a rub or to season numerous tangines. It works well with lamb, beef, and, root vegetables.
Recipe for Homemade Spice Mix with Rose Petal Ras el Hanout
Serves: 1 small jar
Prep Time: 5‘
Cooking Time: 0’
Additional Time: 0’
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoon black peppercorn
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- a good pinch of saffron
- 1 teaspoon edible dried rose petals
- Mix all spices to a spice grinder and pulse to desired consistency; store in a sealed jar in a dry, dark place for up to six months.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.