Burmese Inspired Chicken Pilaf
Grilled Chicken and Burmese Pilau
Pilaf, or Pilau is a popular dish amongst various cultures and it usually consists of cooking the rice in broth, adding spices, and oftentimes, incorparating other ingredients, such as cooked vegetables and meat to it. Its consistency is light and creamy, similar to risotto. The Burmese pilau is inspired by Indian biryani, cooked with aromatics such as bay leaves, cinnamon sticks, saffron and cardamom pods with a twist of nuts and raisins sprinkled on top.
Spiced Chicken Thighs atop Saffron Rice Pilaf with Cashews and Raisins
Prep Time: 5‘
Cooking Time: 15’
Additional Time: ’
- 10 ounces/300 grams chicken thigh fillets, skin on
- 6 ounces/150 grams basmati rice, washed
- 1 ounces/30 grams salted butter, softened (or coconut oil for dairy free)
For the chicken marinade:
- 1/2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon low sodium chicken stock powder
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- salted butter 30g, softened (or coconut oil for dairy free)
- 1 ounce/30 grams cashews
- handful of raisins
- 4 cardamom pods
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- 4 strands saffron
- 3 tablespoon/50 ml water
- Put the rice flavorings in a large bowl, add 3 tbsp/50ml of warm water and mix well; allow to soak for at least 30 minutes.
- Bring all the marinade ingredients to a zipper-sealed bag and add the chicken to it; allow to marinate for 15 minutes.
- Rinse the rice thoroughly and bring it to a pot, together with the rice flavorings.
- Cover the rice with enough water so it reaches 0.5 inches 1/2cm above the rice line; cook on high until it starts boiling, cover with a lid and reduce the heat to the lowest setting; cook for 12-15 minutes; remove from heat, add the salted butter to the rice and fluff it with a fork; cover with the lid and allow to steam further until ready to serve.
- Meanwhile, heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat; once hot add the chicken with the skin side down and cook on medium for 5-7 minutes/side or until deep golden brown and crispy.
- Scoop a generous amount of rice to a plate and serve with the chicken on top; serve warm.