Gluten Free Homemade Taco Seasoning
Tacos…is there anyone who doesn’t love tacos? If that person does exist, we have yet to meet them. We are pretty convinced they don’t exist at all, though, because EVERYONE loves tacos. But why should we be restricted to store-bought, pre-mixed taco seasonings that taste like little more than cumin, generic chili powder, and preservatives?
That was a rhetorical question because we SHOULDN’T. By restricting the flavors you incorporate into your taco’s main filling, you are limiting the quality of your taco overall.
Plus, most store-bought taco seasoning contains gluten, which just seems unnecessary and weird to us. So we made a gluten free taco seasoning that is everything a taco-loving heart desires, without all of the things you are looking to avoid (like preservatives and gluten).
Homemade Chipotle Taco Seasoning Using Chipotle Powder
Our taco seasoning has 2 levels of smokiness—a chipotle chile powder and smoked sea salt. This ensures that no matter what type of filling is used, if it is seasoned with our homemade taco seasoning, it will taste as if it came straight off the grill. We also love a little bit of sweetness with smoke and peppery heat, so we included a bit of brown sugar in our blend. Sugar is rarely found in taco seasoning, however, so if you want to be a bit more classic with your flavors, it is fine to leave it out.
Trust us; homemade taco seasoning will improve your taco experience and will open up numerous doors to flavor expansion and taco experimentation. Use our homemade taco seasoning as is, or as a base, adding and omitting ingredients as you see fit until you have the perfect blend for your taste preferences.
How to Make Homemade Gluten Free Taco Seasoning
Yields: about ¼ cup
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked sea salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh-ground cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons dried, ground Mexican oregano
- Sift together all of your ingredients, ensuring they are thoroughly combined.
- Use immediately or store in an air-tight container until ready for use.
Uses for Homemade Chipotle Taco Seasoning:
- Sprinkle atop meats, seafood, and veggies prior to cooking the main filling for your tacos.
- Use it to make a dressing for coleslaw to serve as a side or atop your tacos.
- Mix it with sour cream, chopped cilantro, and lime juice and use it as a dip or sauce for tacos.
- Stir it into a batter for a fried fish or vegetable taco.
- Sprinkle it on watermelon. No, this is not for putting on tacos but it would be a deliciously refreshing side.