Fancy S'mores with edible gold leaf and home-made marshmellow
Gold Leaf S’mores
S’mores just got a major upgrade with gold leaf and real vanilla beans.
While we left the graham crackers and chocolate “as is”, we seriously revamped the marshmallows for this twist on a classic treat.
To start, we ditched the bag and made the marshmallows from scratch. This is easier to do than you think, and the store-bought variety doesn’t even come close.
The result? S’mores that are equally at home at a black-tie dinner as they are around a campfire!
Gold Leaf S’mores - a fancy summer treat
3 envelopes unflavored gelatin
2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 vanilla beans, halved
edible gold sheets
- Coat a 9 x 13 pan with non-stick cooking spray. Line the bottom with parchment paper and spray the paper too.
- Pour 1/2 cup of cold water into a mixer bowl; sprinkle the gelatin over the top.
- Combine the granulated sugar, corn syrup, salt and 1/2 cup of water in a saucepan. Stir, over medium heat, till sugar has dissolved. Bring to a boil and cover. Boil for 5 minutes. Remove the lid and insert a thermometer; continue boiling until the temperature reaches 240 degrees. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Turn the mixer to low speed and carefully pour the hot syrup over the gelatin mixture. Increase the speed to high and beat for 8 minutes. With the mixer still running, scrape the seeds from the vanilla beans into the mixer. Continue beating for 7 minutes. Scrape the marshmallow into your prepared pan and use a spatula that’s been sprayed with cooking spray to smooth the top. Let cool completely.
- Cover a cutting board with confectioner’s sugar and turn the pan upside down to release the marshmallow. Sprinkle with more confectioner’s sugar and place a bowl filled with more confectioner’s sugar nearby.
- Spray a large knife with non-stick cooking spray and cut the marshmallows into 24 squares. Coat the sides of each square with the confectioner’s sugar in the bowl.
- Torch the marshmallows with a kitchen torch or over a gas flame. Place on a graham cracker that’s been topped with a chocolate square, and carefully lay one sheet of edible gold on top. Top with another graham cracker and gently press. Serve immediately.
Check out the final product, and then let us know how bad your really want some!
Not ready to take on the challenge of marshmallows? Give this no-churn ice cream recipe a try.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.