Persian Beef Stew
Ghormeh Sabzi with Beef
If you are looking for a hearty dish that incorporates a lot of flavor, protein, and plenty of healthy greens, you are going to love this Persian beef stew with kidney beans. Ghormeh sabzi is an herb stew that is often prepared with lamb or beef. It is citrus forward, which balances the heavier flavors of the slow cooked meat and vegetables. A key ingredient in this stew is Persian dried limes, otherwise known as Limu Omani, limoo, or black limes.
Black limes are limes that have been scalded in a salty brine prior to drying. This process brings out a more intense tanginess than its fresh citrus counterpart and another layer of depth and flavor from the brine. It perfectly balances the astringent cilantro leaves, and earthy sweetness of the fenugreek, and brightens the spinach and parsley. It all simmers together to create a rich, hearty, and healthy beef stew!
Persian Herb Stew with Beef
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- olive oil
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups beef broth (or water)
- 3 black limes
- 1 ½ cup parsley, roughly chopped
- ½ cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 12 ounces frozen spinach
- 2 tablespoons dried fenugreek
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- salt and pepper to taste
- 15 ounces dark red kidney beans
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over your meat.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat and add your onions. Cook the onions until tender and then ad your meat and garlic. Sear both sides and turn the heat down to simmer.
- Pierce your limes with a fork and add them to the pot.
- Stir in the turmeric and broth.
- Simmer for 35 minutes.
- While the beef is simmering, add oil to another pan and bring it up to med-high heat. Stir in the cilantro, parsley, green onions, fenugreek, and spinach. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and stir.
- Stir often, cooking for about 10-15 minutes.
- After the meat mixture has cooked for 35 minutes, add the herb mixture, kidney beans, and lemon juice. Stir, cover, and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Serve alongside basmati rice.