Saffron Buns Made with Persian Saffron
Top Israeli Chef, Reut Chen, Shares Her Recipe for Saffron buns
There's a reason buns freequent the dinner table at most gatherings. They're soft, slightly sweet, and the perfect combination of chewy and fluffy—comfort food at it's finest. Plus, they are an excellent vessel for sopping up the remnants of whatever else graced your plate. That's not to say every bun is created equal.
Saffron buns are a holiday staple in Sweden, Norway, and many other places around the world. They are tan exceptional blend of sweet and savory, rich, fluffy, and include an element of nostalgia for many. Oftentimes, though, food coloring is used to produce the bright yellow color. Yuck. We'll stick to naturally derived coloring in our saffron buns!
Reut Chen provided a lovely recipe for doing just so. And she enhanced both the color and the flavor with our Persian Saffron Threads!
Learn how to make them here and follow Reut Chen on Instagram for a visual culinary inspiration!
- 3-5 Persian Saffron threads
- 50 grams fresh yeast
- 380 grams water
- 1 kilogram of bread flour
- 100 grams eggs
- 100 grams sugar
- 80 grams olive oil
- 20 grams salt
- Place the water and saffron in a small bowl set aside for an hour.
- Add the yeast to the saffron and water mixture.
- Combine flour, eggs, sugar, olive oil, and olive oil in a mixer bowl.
- Add the water and yeast to the flour mixer and mix it, using a dough hook, until it forms to dough.
- Place the dough on a clean surface and knead with your hands for another 5 min.
- Add the dough back in bowl, cover with a towel, and set aside in warm spot for an hour.
- Knead the dough again and divide it to 12 even pieces.
- Create buns in any form you like.
- Brush the buns with an egg wash, cover with a nylon bag and set a side to rise for half an hour.
- Heat your oven to 200℃/390℉.
- Brush again with an egg wash (gently) and put in the oven for 25-30 min.
- When you take the buns out of the oven, cover them with a towel until they are chilled.EnjoyCheck out another great recipe from Reut Chen: White Chocolate Cheesecake
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.