By Chef Jason Shuldberg of 24 Carrots
We are so happy to feature this recipe using our Tahitian Vanilla Beans by Chef Jason Shuldberg of 24 Carrots in beautiful Southern California. Chef Jason brings a wealth of experience and knowledge to the pastry field and applies it beautifully with our products. A little about the Chef: Jason began his journey in his hometown of New York City working at MTV and Martha Stewart in broadcast finance. His passion for fine service, food and pastry were brought along through his time with Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. Jason chose to take the plunge to work with a series of outstanding pastry chefs, executive chefs and culinary professionals. He joined the pastry program at the legendary Royal Palms Resort and Spa under the direction of Pierino Jermonti. Jason was brought along as Chef Perry’s right hand for the opening of Terranea Resort in Southern California. The springboard of Destination Hotels top resort led to Jason’s leadership in top NYC catering and restaurant venues to the pastry executive sous chef role for the Mirage of Las Vegas. Jason brings his experience and eye for detail (or what some would call slight OCD tendencies) to the culinary and pastry program here at 24 Carrots Catering to ensure the end of every event will be both sweet and delicious! We could not agree more Chef.
Chocolate Mandarin Mousse
- White chocolate - 11oz
- Cream - 1 ½ Cups
- Tahitian Vanilla Bean, split and scraped - ½ Each
- Orange Zest - 1T
- Orange Compound - 1T
- Gelatin, sheets, bloomed in ice water - 3Each
- Cream, ribbon stage - 1 ¾ Cups
- Couverture, dark, tempered - As needed
- Melt chocolate and set aside.
- Boil first portion of cream, vanilla bean, zest and compound.
- Add gelatin to boiling cream.
- Combine cream mixture and white chocolate.
- Fold in soft whipped cream.
- Pour into half sphere molds to set, freeze overnight.
Remove from molds, dip into tempered chocolate and refrigerate.
Tahitian Vanilla-Orange Caramel
- Water - ½ Cup
- Granulated Sugar - 16 oz
- Lemon Juice - ¼ teaspoons
- Orange Juice - 16 oz
- Tahitian Vanilla bean, split, scraped - ½ Each
- Butter, unsalted, cubed, room temp. - 13.25oz
- Oranges,segmented - 3 Each
- In a sauce pot, boil water, lemon juice and sugar over high heat.
- Separately, boil orange juice, vanilla bean pod and seeds, and then set aside.
- Once sugar reaches caramel stage, turn off heat, slowly and carefully, pour vanilla-orange infusion into cooked sugar in small increments until all is together.
- Bring back to heat and boil for 2 minutes.
- Add cubed butter and blend together.
- Cool in ice bath until mixture is at 39F.
- Take segments and place in sealable container and add 1 cup of sauce and store overnight.
- Store remaining sauce until ready for service.
- Orange Juice - 2 Cups
- Granulated Sugar - 4 oz
- Pectin, apple - 2 teaspoons
- Sugar, granulated - 16 oz
- Glucose syrup - 2.65 oz
- Citric Acid - 1 teaspoons
- Oranges Zested - 5 ea
- Bring juice to boil over high heat.
- Mix together first portion of sugar and pectin.
- Whisk into boiling juice.
- Boil for a minute, then add sugar and glucose syrup
- Cook to 215F.
- Add zest and citric acid.
- Cook for another half minute while whisking.
- Take off heat and cool to 39F and hold in refrigeration until ready for use.
- Carefully spread some orange jam over each mousse cup.
- Be very careful not to crack chocolate shell.
- Top with marinated orange segments.
- Design plate with orange caramel and jam.
- Adorn with berries.